You know you’re tired when you start writing a post…and then fall asleep before you remember to finish it. However, I’m sure it’s still Tuesday somewhere in the world, so here’s this week’s Ten Thoughts Tuesday post:
1. This week, Victoria’s Secret has popped up on my radar.
2. Now, when I have visited the US (as a college student and older) in the past I have loved stocking up on VS stuff, which is difficult to get hold of outside the US.
3. But this week there has been a flurry of controversy over the ‘Pink’ line and the ‘Bright Young Things’ campaign.
4. Is it inappropriately sexualizing younger teens?
5. Some of the reported products certainly seem too ‘adult’ for a young teenager – such as a pair of knickers with ‘Feeling lucky’ scrawled across them.
6. And although I’m not American, I have seen TV shows where the ‘Victoria’s Secret Catalogue’ is very much referenced as ‘the Playboy you can receive in your mailbox without embarrassment’.
7. This is what the CFO and executive VP of the brand’s parent company Limited Brands, Stuart Burgdoerfer apparently had to say: “When somebody’s 15 or 16 years old, what do they want to be? They want to be older, and they want to be cool like the girl in college, and that’s part of the magic of what we do at PINK.”
8. Oops, perhaps not the most reassuring message to put out to concerned mothers.
9. Luckily, BabyGirl is far too young for this to be an immediate issue for me.
10. But what do you think? Did you grow up with VS? Do you have teens / tweens clamoring for these products? Is this a storm in a teacup?
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 11
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 10
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 9
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 8
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 7
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 6
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 5
- Ten Thoughts Tuesday 4