My final Ten Thoughts Tuesday post is addressing respect.
1. Respect is something that come to the forefront of my mind since having children.
2. Regular readers will know that the lack of respect my mother-in-law shows me as a mother (and Multidaddy as a father) is one of the reasons our relationship is somewhat strained.
3. And whether it’s having children, or just getting older, I now also demand respect from people I associate with.
4. For instance, when someone calls up to invite me to dinner with less than 24 hours notice, I see that as disrespectful.
5. To me, that says one of two things:
6. Either, ‘I have so little regard for any plans you have that I expect you to be able to change them at a drop of a hat’,
7. Or, ‘You clearly have no social life, so of course you’ll be free.’
8. Either way, it’s not great.
9. And, hey, I have kids. Do you really expect me to be able to find a sitter (for a non-emergency) that quickly?
10. Do you think I would even ask, so implying to my potential sitter that I have no regard for their own plans?